Contact Avon Historical Society - ahs.mail.1830@sbcglobal.net; 860-678-7621

 

Home


Events / News

 Upcoming Events

 Cow Chip Raffle 2011

 Newsletters


Sites to Visit

 Derrin House

 Living Museum

 Pine Grove Schoolhouse


History of Avon

 Avon's Town Historian

 Historical Avon

 Barns of Avon

 Local Historic Homes

 Hunter History Room


Stories from Avon


Your Help

Horse Guard Barn

Friends of the Society

Corporate Members

AHS Gift Shop

Join Us !


Contact Us

 

Pine Grove Schoolhouse

 

 

 

On October 7, 1865, a man with a team was paid $1.50 for scraping and leveling the site for The Pine Grove School. Constructed at a cost of $1,538.34, the school opened in December. Miss Francis, its first teacher, received $96.00 for a four month winter term.

English, grammar, mathematics, geography, history, music, and art were the subjects studied. The pupils walked to school carrying books, slates, and tin dinner pails. They took turns building a fire in a bench-type stove. Girls sat on the left and boys on the right. Eight grades were taught here.

Pine Grove Schoolhouse

Image courtesy of Glenn Lawrence

For 62 years the school was known as School Number 7. In 1927 the town officially named it The Pine Grove School. By then it served as a place for prayer meetings and singing schools. It closed as a school in 1949, but remained open as a branch library, a nursery school, and a meeting place for Explorer Scouts.

In April 1975, the Avon Historical Society began its restoration of The Pine Grove Schoolhouse. Today it is set up as an early 20th century schoolhouse complete with bolted desks (c. 1865), hand slates (c.1900), textbooks (c. 1925), and a working stove.

__________________________

Along Route 167 at the Corner of Harris & West Avon Road

Free Admission, Open Sundays from 2 to 4pm.

June through September, or by Appointment

Avon Historical Society - 860-678-7621

__________________________

Avon Historical Society P.O. Box 448, Avon, CT. 06001 All Rights Reserved